Saturday, June 2, 2018

Unstructured Time Off

I literally have no idea when my last post was, but due to whirlwind weeks (another post I will be finishing up soon), this is my first chance to catch a breath and have my mind clear enough to write. 

I'm sure we all understand the concept of high-stress jobs, but with teaching, a common maxim is we squeeze a year's worth of work into 10 months, which is how we EARN our summer break. During the year, we push ourselves as much as humanly possible to get the goliath amount of tasks we need to get done. 

However, when we have time off, the routines and habits kind of fall by the wayside. We spend the whole day in our pajamas, watching Netflix and going on Facebook, and then we look up and it's 5pm. During my summer, I find it best to create structure, even if it's with habits and tasks I haven't done in a long time, or ever. 

Look at that, I got distracted again. 



A lot of times with a lack of structure comes a lack of certainty. For example, as much as it pains me to say this, I don't know if I'll be at my dream job next year. I'd love to be certain this summer, which would make structure easier. However, I have all this teaching recertification nonsense pending, which means I can't sign a contract until this bureaucratic BS is processed.  

When I was a kid, I remember being beside myself at the end of each school year because I HATED change. Even as an adult, although I accept it more, I still crave continuity. I was so looking forward to having a smooth transition, doing the same thing from 1 year to the next, which hasn't happened ever in my professional career. I'm learning and trying to accept that all I can do is everything I can on my end, and put my faith in God and the system for the rest. 

QUOP: "Change is always tough. Even for those who see themselves as agents of change, the process of starting a new thing can cause times of disorientation, uncertainty, and insecurity."                                                     - Joyce Meyers 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lin Manuel

“Legacy. What is a legacy? It’s planting seeds in a garden you never get to see.” - from "The World Was Wide Enough" in Hamilton I...